Courtesy of Flickr.com/creativecommons 1633309@N08/8674628537
During the hot days of summer I sometimes walk on the indoor track above the gym at my church. During one of my Wednesday walks I heard a basketball coach give a strong speech to the young men he was training at a basketball camp. His words were powerful and are applicable to anyone desiring to win in this journey called life. The speech was full of “Ifs”.
- If you say I’m tired, you’re tired.
- If you say I can’t do this, you probably can’t.
- If you say I can’t get better, you probably can’t.
- If you know it’s Hump Day and are thinking “Yea, it’s Hump Day, this is nearly over”, then these are wasted hours.
- If you say, I can improve my skills, you will.
- If you say, I’m going to conquer this weakness, you will.
- If you really get into these workouts, you will get stronger.
- If you work in unity as a team, you will succeed.
I knew these words were meant not only for these young athletes, but for me as well. Life is difficult. Today and everyday of my life I need to get into the game to win, not just to get by, barely holding on. Unfortunately, some of my days are lived that way. But, the good news is I don’t have to live that way. I’m to live it with gusto and with Jesus I can. He is my strength and joy who gives me all that I need to really live. He is my “yes you can”!