I love to be with people, but in small groups. It’s just how I’m wired. I love leading and facilitating Bible studies and other types of small groups, but I have a “favorite” number for group size – five to seven. That’s where I’m most comfortable. Oh, and it’s really comfortable when I actually already know one or two in the group pretty well. It gives me comfort and security. Needless to say, I’m an introvert. It’s how God designed me.
But, in my life God has asked me to get out of that place of comfort and share my life with bigger groups. It’s quite scary. I’ve said “yes” many times and I didn’t faint, get sick, or die. I know I’ve felt sick, but it didn’t happen. I have God and His strength to thank for that. However, I don’t come away from those uncomfortable situations to a place of joy and peace, thinking to myself “oh how God used me. It was wonderful!” I come from those places with my own inner critic screaming at me saying things like, “What you said was confusing. That didn’t go so smoothly. You should have done better. On and on and on my own inner voice goes.”
How grateful I am to be in a better place of understanding this about myself: I have a strong inner critic that God wants to tame. And, he’s in the taming business! So what are some things I’m learning?
- There are times I won’t be at my best, and it’s okay. When God calls me to a new place where there’s some stretching going on in me, there is never any need for beating myself up because it didn’t go perfectly. Give myself grace. It will go better next time, if there’s a next time.
- Accept that no matter what, I am Christ’s beloved. That’s the only thing that really matters.
- Give thanks to God when He shows me something I need to correct in my life. It’s out of love He shows it to me. He’s not pointing it out to beat me up or condemn me. He’s revealing it to me so I can grow up more.
- I am me and His design in me is good. So, there is no need to ever compare and compete with anyone else.
- I ask God to show me how to replace those critical remarks I make to myself with life giving thoughts. He will do it.
Thank you, God, that even as I ponder and write these words, I realize more and more how easy it is to fall back into living in a “me centered” place instead of in a new creation place. Although I’m never perfect, help me to always make forward movement that brings greater freedom in Christ .
To what new place is God taking you? How are your getting there? What are you learning on the journey?
Thank you for posting this. I really enjoy your devotions and truly blesses my heart each day. I pray that you will have a great week. In Christian Love, Robin
Thank you, Robin. I’m glad God used my blog to speak to your heart. May God richly bless you!
Awesome blog post! I can totally relate!
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:15 AM Kristi Pennington wrote:
> kbethpenn posted: ” I love to be with people, but in small groups. It’s > just how I’m wired. I love leading and facilitating Bible studies and other > types of small groups, but I have a “favorite” number for group size – five > to seven. That’s where I’m most comfortab” >